Re: [nmh-workers] localhost anomaly

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [nmh-workers] localhost anomaly
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 15:49:36 -0400

>>It
>>occurs to me that we should print the port number that we are using in
>>the error message, as that would provide a hint to people as to what is
>>going wrong.
>
>That would be (and would have been) most helpful.
>
>Instead of saying failure to connect to "localhost" it would have been most
>helpful if the message had said failure to connect to "localhost:587".

Here's the new message:

post: problem initializing server; [BHST] Connection to "localhost:587" failed:
Connection refused

This code has been committed to the tree and will be in the next release.
I would note that the port number shows up now if you use -snoop, but it's
clear that people don't always use that switch.  If there are MULTIPLE
addresses that are being connected to then the error message suggests you
use -snoop for more detail, but I don't think it's worth doing that for
the ordinary case here.

--Ken