nethack-el-devel

Re: [Nethack-el-devel] problem with chatting

From: Faux_Pseudo
Subject: Re: [Nethack-el-devel] problem with chatting
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:58:14 -0400

On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 10:52:03PM -0700, Ryan Yeske wrote:
> Faux_Pseudo <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I am in the wizards quest.  I try to chat and the whole thing locks up
> > and I have to kill emacs and restart it.  But same thing happens.
> > I can load nethack-el by it self and issue the chat command but when
> > it asks me in which direction I say "up" because that is where the
> > person is and it says "they won't hear you up there".  Until I talk to
> > her I can't go down the stairs.  Any ideas?
>
> Did you ever resolve this?  I talked to sabetts (who is off email it
> seems) and he said he has never had this problem (he has twice
> ascended using nethack-el recently).  Maybe update your sources?

Rebroadcast from my Aug 28th LJ :
http://www.livejournal.com/users/faux_pseudo/

1) I am playing in Nethack-el which is nethack inside emacs. There is
a bug that causes it to freeze when chatting to the quest
leader. killall emacs-21.3-no-x11. try again. Same result. hmm... I
posted to the proper mailing list and got no response. not even the
spam that normally happens there. I loaded up nethack outside of emacs
after positioning myself so that I was right
next to the leader

     @ <- her
     @ <- me

Debug and format information. I did a command> chat and it asked me
which direction I wanted to chat in. I said "up". It told me no one
could hear me up there. I went to bed. While in bed I figured that I
could say "north" which I tried latter on and failed and then tried
just "n" for north. She speaks and I can go down the stairs.
I had to do the same thing on the way back. Bug not killed but worked
around.
2) I had teleport without control. I had been hopping that I would
find a ring of tele control or a tangu but no tangu left me a good
enough corps. I had been living with this for while now but the
thought of walking around a pooled area like the quest without control
seemed like a really bad idea. I was not about to have my scrolls and
potions (the spellbooks where back home) ruined by water. So I used my
last wish for tele control even though I knew I would get it
eventually without it. Sure enough after killing the Dark One I was
heading out of the quest and a tengu gave me what I needed.

--
  .-'))       fauxascii.com        ('-.  | It's a damn poor mind that
 ' ..-  .:" )               ( ":.  -.. ' | can only think of one way to