RE: [Nel] compilation issues on Linux gcc 3.2.2

From: Vianney Lecroart
Subject: RE: [Nel] compilation issues on Linux gcc 3.2.2
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:15:54 +0100

> Here are the issues I've encountered up to where I'm stuck:
> 1. STLPort 4.6 makefiles use compiler specific target names for the
> libraries they create.  ie)libstlport_gcc.so (which obviously will not
> be found) Also, they install by default to /usr/local and nel looks in
> /usr.  Changed makefile, all good.

NeL suppose that stlport is in /usr because it's a common behavior. As
noted in the INSTALL file, you can change the stlport path using
something like "./configure --with-stlport=<STLPort_path>"

Stlport generates specific target names but the stlport installation
should make some symbolic links libstlport.so that point to
libstlport_gcc.so.

> 2. gcc is smart enough to know that (on my 32 bit system) unsigned
char
> is uint8, uint is uint32, and sint is sint32.  So calling
> NL_TRIVIAL_TYPE_TRAITS for both is deemed redundant and causes an
> error.  Commented out lines for sint, uint, and unsigned char in
> misc/traits_nl.h.  Will this come back to haunt me?  There's probably
> going to be different but similar occurrences of this for people with
> different (64 bit) systems.

That's some new code and we have to fix that. On Windows uint8 and char
are not the same types, that's why it works on Windows. We'll add some
specific code on that.

> 3. gcc attempts to find errors early and and some instances will be
> unable to correctly determine what is a type and what is a value so
> typename must be explicitly used when this happens (this is what I
> gather from google).  In 3d/ps_attrib.h, the line
> typedef CPSVector<T>::V TContType;
> seems like it should read
> typedef typename CPSVector<T>::V TContType;

The typename deprecated is an annoying warning. But it compiles and
doesn't generate any issues. We'll fix them when we find them.

> 4. I can't resolve this make error:
> In file included from ../../src/3d/ps_particle_basic.h:33,
>                  from ../../src/3d/ps_dot.h:29,
>                  from ../../src/3d/ps_particle.h:34,
>                  from particle_system.cpp:38:
> ../../src/3d/ps_plane_basis.h: At global scope:
> ../../src/3d/ps_plane_basis.h:101: ISO C++ forbids declaration of `
>    NL_TRIVIAL_TYPE_TRAITS' with no type

I think it's because "ps_plane_basis.h" doesn't include traits_nl.h.

Vianney Lecroart
---
lead network programmer / nevrax.com
icq#: 6870415
homepage: http://ace.planet-d.net
www.geekcode.com: GCS/E d- s+++: a- C+++$UL++ P- L+++>+$ E+>- W++ N+ o?
K- w++$ O- M- V- PS- PE? Y PGP t 5? X+ R- tv++ b- DI D+ G e++ h-- r y?