[Nel] multipart meshes

From: Andi 'Debug' Allen
Subject: [Nel] multipart meshes
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 17:13:33 -0000

Hi,

ok we have been thinking seriously about this for some time
and as yet have failed to come up with even an iterim solution.

in games such as ryzom and anarchy online etc.

although this falls into game development theory i feel if
it has been done in ryzom or by someone who uses nel a
heads up on the methods would be very useful

a player can wear different pieces of armour hold different weapons
the armours can be differnt sizes and shapes.

the logical method that presented itself to me is to break a model
of a char into various parts head / neck / arm etc and hot swap
replacement meshes for those parts.

how then does the animation deal with these replacements
or even additions! to a mesh like a cape or over armour armours

im probably on the wrong track entirely.... arent i

and you want to tack a weapon mesh onto a char or shield

we are extremly lost on ways to proceed and dont want to make
to many meshes before we know the hoes and whys of proven
systems.

so to break it up we need some kind of reasonable idea of how to
do the following

link / unlink / rotate / scale - weapon / shield / con to a character
mesh without breaking animation

change / scale - armour parts to replace parts of a char mesh
without breaking animation.

is there a set system for doing this in NeL i dont want to reinvent the
wheel again.

thanks

    Andi 'Debug' Allen

Design Lead