Re: [Nel] Access violation in Font sample on Win2k

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: Re: [Nel] Access violation in Font sample on Win2k
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 16:27:33 +0100

Mike Stoddart wrote:
When I compile and run the Font sample (in debug or release) I get an access violation inside the Freetype library, inside this call:

error = FT_New_Face (_Library, fontFileName.c_str (), 0, &_Face);

The fontFileName contains the correct filename, so either it's not finding the file, or something weird is happening.

Now, I have something called the Qube SDK installed on my PC as well, and for some reason, when I run the Font sample, it loads freetype.dll from this program:

Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Qube\QSDK\bin\freetype.dll', no matching symbolic information found.

Could this be the problem?
Thanks

Yes, it could be the source of your troubles. NeL font support is meant to link against 'plain' FreeType 2.0.x or 2.1.x. If Qube SDK comes with a modified or older FreeType, you may experience various problem. The most expected pb is that you're compiling with recent FreeType headers, but linking with an older DLL (this lead to segfaults).

I suggest you fetch and compile the lateste FreeType code, and install it as freetype2.dll. You'll also have to make sure that NeL does include the right <freetype/*> stuff and use your freetype2.lib import library accordingly.