[Nel] Compiling Nel MAX plugins for 3dsmax 4.0

From: John Travis
Subject: [Nel] Compiling Nel MAX plugins for 3dsmax 4.0
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 10:18:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

    I been working on trying to get the nel plugins
compiling and running for 3DSMAX 4.0.  I was able to
compile NELCONVERTPATCH.dlm, NELTILEUTILITY.dlu and
placed it in the plugins directory of my 3dsmax 4.0
install.  I also placed the NEL_3DSMAX_SHARED.dll,
NEL_DRV_OPENGL_WIN.dll in the my 3dsmax 4.0 directory

    When I tried to open up snowballs.max file, my
computer just sits there for an hour.  I am running a
PIII 750Mhz.  I'm not sure if I need to wait longer.
I am compiling everything under Debug Fast.

    One problem could be that I could not compile the
NEL_PATCH_LIB project without implementing to new
functions to the class RPO which dervives from
PatchObject. I believe in the 3DS MAX 4.0 SDK, there
are two virtual functions that you have to implement.
 They are: (within class rpo in rpo.h of
NEL_PATCH_LIB)

ISubObjType *GetSubObjType(int i);
int NumSubObjTypes();

    Now I'm not sure how to use these so I just return
NULL and 0 for each respective function.  Could this
be my dilemma?

   Also, when I built the NELEXPORT.dlu, I received
alot of link errors.  Here are some outputs.
Creating library
../../../../obj/Debug/nel_drv_opengl_win_debug.lib and
object
../../../../obj/Debug/nel_drv_opengl_win_debug.exp
nl3d_debug.lib(texture_mem.obj) : error LNK2001:
unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport)
public: __thiscall
_STLD::__owned_list::~__owned_list(void)"
(address@hidden@@address@hidden)
nl3d_debug.lib(class_registry.obj) : error LNK2001:
unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport)
public: __thiscall
_STLD::__owned_list::~__owned_list(void)"
(address@hidden@@address@hidden)
nl3d_debug.lib(mem_stream.obj) : error LNK2001:
unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport)
public: __thiscall
_STLD::__owned_list::~__owned_list(void)"
(address@hidden@@address@hidden)
nl3d_debug.lib(di_keyboard_device.obj) : error

Am I setting up the project incorrectly?
Please help.  I been working on this for a while now
and pretty much am not sure what to try next.

Thanks!