nano-devel

Re: spotlight and cutting/copying/zapping

From: pepa65
Subject: Re: spotlight and cutting/copying/zapping
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 19:13:15 +0700

On 10/03/2021 17.42, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
>> 2) To do some complex processing. This is usually done via a macro.
>
> Yes, that's why --markmatch seemed like a good idea.  But no one has
> given any example of what they would be able to do with it.

That's not quite true, I mailed in this on Dec.11:

I use text editors a lot like this. The example I'm giving here is from
a recent case where I was inspecting a CSV file, where I decided I
wanted to move the second field (of 5) to the end of the line. If the
length is fixed, you can use Mark and count lefts until you cut what you
need to cut. In my case, I had 2 lengths, so I used a regex find twice
for both lengths. But with the new feature, I would search for /,[^,]/
then cut that, move to the end of the line and paste, for any length of
the field!

I would still love it if I can toggle 'markmatch' on for these more
complex usage cases. But for general usage I agree with you, Benno, it
is too different from the old behaviour and needs more keystrokes to
mitigate.

Peter