myexperiment-hackers

[myexperiment-hackers] Ubuntu 10.04 Installer for myExperiment

From: David R Newman
Subject: [myexperiment-hackers] Ubuntu 10.04 Installer for myExperiment
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 19:03:44 +0100

Hi All,

I have said for a while that I would write a Ubuntu installer for
myExperiment.  I have had my first stab at this and you can try it out
if you can set up you own test Ubuntu VMs.  All the files and details
you need should be at:

http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/drn/myexp-ubuntu-installer/

At present I have got to the point of getting the installer to run a
mongrel webserver for the myExperiment website and run a Solr server for
search.  I haven't put it into versioning control yet.  Does anyone have
any opinions on the best place/way of doing this

I haven't sorted out any configuration for sending email yet.  So you
have to go to the database and manually activate users, unless there is
a way of not requiring activation in the settings file.

The installer does its best to stick to default options so the site
itself comes up in development rather than production mode.

It would be really useful if some people could have a play and give me
feedback.  In particular Don if he sees anything in the install script
that is legacy and doesn't need to be there any more.  If you look at
the code you may see I have had to write a couple of hacks to get things
working.

Regards

David Newman