monotone-debian

Re: [Monotone-debian] monotone-viz

From: Ludovic Brenta
Subject: Re: [Monotone-debian] monotone-viz
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 00:02:52 +0200

Francis Russell <address@hidden> writes:
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>
>> OK, I think I'll be able to do that tonight (CET).  Thanks for all the
>>
>> work.
>
> Just in case you decided not to do that because of the extra commits I
> made after that message, I'm finished now, really. I blame the OCaml
> runtime system. On platforms where OCaml can only be compiled to
> bytecode it's trivially easy to create a useless package that builds
> perfectly. Such packages need to include a dependency on the OCaml
> runtime interpreter and dh_shlibdeps doesn't pick up the library
> dependencies as they're incorporated into the bytecode.
>
> Anyway, I'm pretty certain that the packaged monotone-viz should run on
> platforms without a native-code OCaml compiler. Pity that it seems like
> no-one has *ever* tried to do so.

Sorry for the delay, real life caught on.  I finally reviewed your
changes and I have to say I'm impressed with your attention to detail.
One thing caught my eye though: in patches/20-dot-rankdir.diff, I see

-    then [ "/bin/sh" ; "-c" ;
+    then [ "/bin/bash" ; "-c" ;

which is probably because the shell command contains bashisms.
Unfortunately, this makes monotone-viz depend on bash; bash is no longer
the default shell and, although I've only ever used bash myself, I know
people who prefer zsh and don't have or want bash on their systems.

So, could you please see if you can remove the bashism or, failing that,
add an explicit dependency on bash in the control file?

> Also, could you push your 0.48 monotone packaging commit?

Done.

--
Ludovic Brenta.