stateful rules

From: A. Craig West
Subject: stateful rules
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 20:21:16 -0500

Hi, I have been using monit for quite a while now, and have been wondering if there is any way for rules to have state which affects the behaviour of other rules. In my case, I have a log file (the logging from a streaming music player) and I have a rule that if no updates happen to the file in a period of time, it can be assumed that the player died somehow and needs to be restarted. This part is fairly straightforward. My problem is that sometimes the player prints a buffer-stalled warning, which it may or may not recover from. If it does recover, a message is printed to the log and playback continues, but if it doesn't, no further messages are printed. Eventually this will trigger the timeout rule, but in this case if, when monit sees the buffer stalled message, it could switch to a much shorter timeout, it would greatly improve the system. once the recovery message is printed it would need to go back to the longer timeout.
I have tried to implement this with target actions which start and stop services on the same log, but this is unreliable.