Monit and laptops

From: David Blank-Edelman
Subject: Monit and laptops
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 14:41:55 -0400

Hi-

Have loved Monit for many years. This is the first time I’ve considered using
it on a laptop so I thought I would write to see if there is anything I should
be wary of.

Here’s the situation: I have a laptop that will randomly just start losing 70%+
of packets. If I cycle the interface (ifconfig en0 down then up) it always
resets and is fine for another random while. Have been trying to debug this for
months, but just decided in the meantime I should find a way to automate this
cycle the network in a packet loss situation “fix”.

It seems like Monit would do just fine with a config that said “ping this
address and if you have N failures in time T (or cycles), cycle the interface”.
My only concern is how it might handle situations when the laptop sleeps or
partially sleeps (or wakes up and doesn’t have wifi for a bit). I don’t think
I’d want it to be flapping things in those cases.

Should I worry about this?  Is there perhaps a clever way to say “only go into
corrective mode after N number of successful pings have occurred” as a way to
make sure it is only taking action when the laptop is actually in use? Any
other concerns?

Thanks!

     — dNb