Re: Check the age of a process

From: SZÉPE Viktor
Subject: Re: Check the age of a process
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 19:35:05 +0200

Monit has more and more features.
Other things should be implemented as shell scripts.
This is my take on long running cron jobs
https://github.com/szepeviktor/debian-server-tools/blob/master/monitoring/cron-long.sh
installed on all production servers.

What if I wanted to check for something running too long? I tried this and it's alerting for not being present or for having less uptime. Is it possible to negate the alerting logic so it's OK when something is not running or it's less that a certain age?

check process filter_grep_age matching filter_grep
    if uptime > 7 hours then alert

This filter_grep command shouldn't run for more than a few hours or a user has forgotten to stop it.

SZÉPE Viktor, webes alkalmazás üzemeltetés / Running your application
https://github.com/szepeviktor/debian-server-tools/blob/master/CV.md
~~~
ügyelet/hotline: +36-20-4242498  address@hidden  skype: szepe.viktor
Budapest, III. kerület