Re: How to combine RHEL systemd and monit?

From: Lutz Mader
Subject: Re: How to combine RHEL systemd and monit?
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 21:10:24 +0200

Hello,
we use Monit to handle all the application servers (IBM Http Server, IBM
Liberty Profile and WildFly Application Server) and some other non Java
applications only.

Monit will be started/stopped by Systemd, but the applications are
started/stopped by Monit only. From my point of view this works well.

To start/stop Monit and the used user environment we use something like
this (dienste.service), Monit run in the user context:
[Unit]
SourcePath=/usr/local/bin/dienste
Before=multi-user.target graphical.target
[Service]
TasksMax=8000
Type=forking
Restart=no
TimeoutSec=10min
IgnoreSIGPIPE=no
KillMode=process
GuessMainPID=no
RemainAfterExit=yes
ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/dienste start
ExecStop=/usr/local/bin/dienste stop
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

We decided to use one monitor to handle applications only. This is more
easy to handle and limit the configuration complexity. Today Monit fits
well and handle applications in a more useful way than Systemd.

In a short word, we start and stop the system base via Systemd, but all
other applications are started by Monit. And we are able to use a
similar configuration for Linux and AIX systems.

A suggestion only,
Lutz