Port 25 check cause of "Unable to open a socket to Sendmail" error?

From: Jamie Burchell
Subject: Port 25 check cause of "Unable to open a socket to Sendmail" error?
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 09:18:06 +0100

Hi

Since configuring a check for Sendmail I’ve started seeing an error from our CodeIgniter PHP application for the first time:

Exit status code: 75
Unable to open a socket to Sendmail

The check is:

check process sendmail with pidfile /var/spool/postfix/pid/master.pid

start program = "/bin/systemctl postfix start"

stop program = "/bin/systemctl postfix stop"

restart program = "/bin/systemctl postfix restart"

if failed port 25 protocol smtp then restart

if 3 restarts within 5 cycles then unmonitor

I’m assuming then, that the port is unavailable to other services that need it if Monit is checking it?

TIA

Jamie