Re: Good default values for disk monitoring

From: Paul Theodoropoulos
Subject: Re: Good default values for disk monitoring
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2018 17:10:29 -0700

It primarily depends upon your workload. What sorts of applications are you running on the server? Websites? Database? Email?  Is usage generally steady, or bursty?

You'll need to generate some metrics in order to find the best alerting point.  For disk IO, I'd recommend using iostat, and leave it running for an interval during which you'd feel comfortable that the machine has been under what might be peak or high(er) load. e.g.

iostat -hmy 60

will gather statistics for MB/s read/write for the last 60 seconds, repeatedly. Watch those values for a while (or go have a coffee and come back and examine the scrollback :) - then check what the values are.

To get the 'service time' data, you'd run iostat in 'extended statistics' mode:

iostat -hmxy 60

What you might then do is set the monit tests to 1.5x the highest value you saw, as a starting point. Obviously you don't want to be alerted all the time for otherwise-normal activity, so you can tune it higher/lower from there.