Re: "Filesystem flags changed" alerts since 5.22

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: "Filesystem flags changed" alerts since 5.22
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 14:47:19 +0200

Hello Paul,

the problem may occur, if you monitor the root filesystem using the mountpoint
("/") and the system has an rootfs overlay like this:

        $ cat /proc/mounts
        rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
        /dev/sda1 / ext3 rw,data=ordered 0 0

When monit scans the table, it finds the first rootfs mount with "rw" flags and
then the second entry for /dev/sda1 with "rw,data=ordered" flags. This triggers
the filesystem change event. The virtual rootfs filesystem is present on some
platforms only (for example Ubuntu doesn't show it).

Workaround: use device instead of mountpoint for root filesystem monitoring
(the device is more specific and doesn't match the whole overlay mount tree).

We have fixed the problem in the development version, if you want to test, you
can compile it this way:

wget https://bitbucket.org/tildeslash/monit/get/master.tar.gz
tar -xzf master.tar.gz
cd tildeslash*