Re: monit-general Digest, Vol 171, Issue 3

From: Billy Vitro
Subject: Re: monit-general Digest, Vol 171, Issue 3
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 15:40:32 -0700

Here's how I've set up Monit (eventually to be on 1300+ servers):

I've got the file monitrc.master, which includes everything in ../conf.d/monitrc.*

In conf.d, I've got the files broken up by class - so I've got a monitrc.license (for license servers), and monitrc.rhel6 (for rhel 6 hosts), a monitrc.admin (for general things I watch on admin hosts), and possibly a monitrc.hostname for host-specific monitoring.

A potential host might have license + rhel6 + admin installed on it, or hostname + admin + rhel5, or some other combination.

The alerting for each of those class files should go to specific groups, so I can set up aliases to particular people based on the class of the host.

So, for things that I want to watch and perform an action, but really never want an alert, every monitrc.* file would have to have noalert statements for each potential mail alias that might be in any monitrc.* file on that host. I would need to add 'noalert address@hidden' AND 'noalert address@hidden' AND 'noalert address@hidden' to the rhel6, and rhel5, and hostname, and ...

This becomes a maintenance headache, and then I end up sending out 1300 alerts to people who are rapidly getting tired of hearing that the monitrc file was updated.

I assume at this point that this is a feature request - so I guess that's the justification for that feature to be added.

Thanks,
BV.

Message: 1