Re: Periodic Heartbeat EMails

From: Paul Tiseo
Subject: Re: Periodic Heartbeat EMails
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 19:29:32 +0000

Exactly. I don't want to add another layer of monitoring so that I can monitor the monitor. ;)

cron would be acceptable as a fallback if monit can't do it, I guess, except that I have to add another potential point of failure to be able to get emails out, ultimately to or through our mailserver, which is Gmail. I'd need some mail client of some sort.

m/monit seems like a "pricey" tool to have a worker that runs two small Node apps get me a heartbeat email (although I understand it's value in more complex scenarios)

Since monit can email, I was hoping to lasso it into serving me up a heartbeat, but it seems it can't do it. It will email me on state transitions only, which I get is the design intent.

PS: I had setup a heartbeat based on a check for a file that doesn't and will not exist, but it sends an ominous, alert-y email. :) Fine for me, but now I have to explain to others to not ignore alerts except one... yeah, minor thing, but I like to avoid death by a thousand cuts. :)