How to repeat alert notification

From: Riccardo Leonardi
Subject: How to repeat alert notification
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 16:27:37 +0100

Hi,

I have a script checking mail queue returning alert if queue lenght is greather than some threshold.

The alert is correctly forwarded to slack channel, but when the threshold is reached only, not when the queue remains over the threshold.

In fact the behaviour I'd like to implement is:
- receive the alert when the queue goes over the threshold
- continue receiving the alert (possibly with current queue lenght) every x cycles
- stop receiving when the queue returns under the threshold

Currently I have implemented the following:

check program qlen_check with path "/usr/local/monit/conf/check_qlen.sh 200"
if status != 0 then exec "/usr/local/monit/conf/dummy.sh" repeat every 10 cycles

The script check_qlen.sh echoes queue lenght and return 1 if queue > 200.
As soon as that happens I got 1 slack alert only, while I'd like to keep receiving it every x cycles (when dummy.sh is correctly run).

Does anyone have any suggestion how to achieve that behaviour?

Thank you in advance.

Rik