127.0.0.1 isn't the same as localhost

From: Smith, Graham - Computing Technical Officer
Subject: 127.0.0.1 isn't the same as localhost
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 19:09:38 +0000

Something simple that eluded me for a while today – I’ll send this out just in case it helps someone else.

In my control file I had:

allow 127.0.0.1

But I couldn’t view monit status or monit summary on the command line. I kept getting:

Error receiving data -- Connection reset by peer

http access worked perfectly though. Alerts and everything working fine.

monit –t told me the control file was fine too. A bit of a puzzle

But I looked at the log file suggested “Denied connection from non-authorized client”

That made me go back and look at the authentication, but all looked ok. I swapped

allow 127.0.0.1 for allow localhost and all was good again. I pinged localhost

and it resolved to ::1   aha! so it’s an ipv6 resolution not ipv4!

I should have spotted this quicker. And of course ::1 works instead of localhost in the control file.

This is 5.20.0 on Debian Jessie by the way. Probably the same happens in all current distros.

Graham

Graham Smith
Technical Officer
Department of Computing
Institute of Technology Tallaght
Tallaght
Dublin 24
Ireland

The contents and any attachment of this e-mail are private and confidential.
They are intended only for the use of the intended addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended addressee, you are notified that any copying, forwarding, publication, review or delivery of this e-mail or any attachments to anyone else or any other use of its contents is strictly prohibited. You are prohibited from reading any part of this e-mail or any attachments.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the system manager.  Unauthorised disclosure or communication or other use of the contents of this e-mail or any part thereof may be prohibited by law and may constitute a criminal offence. Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. The Institute does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.  Unless stated to the contrary, any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may not be attributed to the Institute.