Re: Load alert failed during auditd backlog

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Load alert failed during auditd backlog
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 13:09:26 +0200

Hello,

please can you send you Monit configuration and Monit log to address@hidden?

The status messages were most probably send to M/Monit, otherwise the chart will have a gap,for example:

Best regards,
Martin

On 26 Oct 2016, at 22:04, TJ Stroker <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello

I wanted to ask a questions, or point out an issue... whichever fits

Yesterday afternoon I noticed an odd issue with a server, which just happened to be running monit 5.19. The issue had actually been in effect for a couple of days. I use m/monit, but never had received any alerts on this issue. The issue is highlighted in this RedHat TID

Message "audit: backlog limit exceeded" reported and possibly hung system due to a frozen filesystem

What I found when I ssh'd to my server was that I had a system load of 299. However monit and m/monit both showed a load of almost 0. I will attach an m/monit weekly load graph.

This server is not used for anything but internal, so it didn't create any real problems for us. But it could have been something more important.

At this point (as I'm still digging into the auditd issue) I can only think that somehow, due to the freeze, monit was unable to queue messages out. And because of this I had no error condition on m/monit.

So I wanted to point it out, but also ask if there might be some insight on how to catch this type of issue in the future.

Jim
<Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 11.21.59 AM.png>--