Seeing momentary SSL connection errors for host checks

From: Phil Townes
Subject: Seeing momentary SSL connection errors for host checks
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 10:15:15 +0100

Hi I'm running Monit 5.17 and I'm seeing frequent, but intermittent SSL connection errors to a particular host.  The same host is being monitored from other monit instances without error.

The error message is:
failed protocol test [DEFAULT] at [IPADDRESS-REMOVED]:443 [TCP/IP SSL] -- SSL connection error: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)

The error state only lasts a minute before I get a connection succeeded message.
This is generating quite a lot of emails!

The config is:
     check host SMS_Router_via_Internet with address REMOVED
         if failed port 443 type TCPSSL then alert

Could anyone suggest some troubleshooting steps?

Many thanks,
Phil Townes