Check a website and raise an alert if the site contains a search string

From: Marcus Mülbüsch
Subject: Check a website and raise an alert if the site contains a search string
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 17:40:47 +0200

Hello list,

I check a website (XML-content) and if I find the string that says type="alarm" I want to raise an alert.

However, if I see it right monit will send an alarm only if a http-connection fails, either because the server is not responding, or the content is not there.

   So given the following config:

check host somehost with address 11.22.33.44
        if failed
                request "/some/uri/file.xml"
                use http headers [Authorization: Basic something]
                with content = 'type="alarm"'
        then alert

    I will get no alarm when the server responds with:

<alarms>
        <fault type="alarm" some_more_data>
                <text>Error</text>
                <source>source</source>
        </fault>
</alarms>

    but I will get an alarm if the server simply responds with:

> <alarms/>

    However, I want it to be the other way around.

    How can I achieve that?

Marcus Mülbüsch