Using Proxy for HTTP Health Check

From: Ward, Matthew
Subject: Using Proxy for HTTP Health Check
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 00:07:29 +0000

Long story short, we need to use a proxy to fire off a request to check if a service is up and running. SO I am attempting to recreate what I would do if I manually telneted to the proxy:

check host APS-Public with address something.somewhere.com
  group APS
  if failed host proxy.nordstrom.net port 8181
    send "CONNECT something.somewhere.com:80 \n"
    expect ".*Connection established.*"
    send "GET /health HTTP/1.0 \n"
    expect ".*{\s*status\s*:\s*UP\s*.*"
  then alert

I end up getting these errors in the log:

GENERIC: successfully sent: 'CONNECT something.somewhere.com:80'

Socket test failed for [10.12.146.20]:8181 -- GENERIC: error receiving data -- Resource temporarily unavailable

But the proxy is up and running… I am assuming I am doing something stupid with my send statement. Any insight?

Thanks,
Matt