Re: functional testing

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: functional testing
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 11:21:33 +0200

Hello Viktor,

the process test just checks whether the process is running (present in the
process table) and also zombie status is checked + there are process activity
tests like CPU usage, memory usage, network and unix socket tests, log file
tests, file/directory timestamp tests, etc.

There is currently no support for sending a signal to the process as part of
tests - sending a signal to the process is one-way asynchronous mechanism, the
sender is not notified when the process handled the signal (some processes may
probably log some message).

A more general approach for observing process activity would be to trace the
process system calls or using DTrace/kprobes API on platforms which support it
(it will have also a side-effect - will slow down the traced process little
bit).

Best regards,
Martin