Re: Debian: How to upgrade MONIT correctly?

From: Nils Steinger
Subject: Re: Debian: How to upgrade MONIT correctly?
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 23:50:50 +0200

Debian applies a bunch of patches when packaging Monit, so the
precompiled binaries from mmonit.com might not be compatible with your
existing installation (due to different default config paths for example).

The safest way to upgrade Monit on a Debian system is to use backports
from Debian's package repositories. You can either use prepackaged ones
from your release's backports suite (e.g. jessie-backports), or compile
them yourself (e.g. following [1] on your system, or using the OpenSUSE
build service [2]).

You can check https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=monit for the
versions that are currently available.

Note: You could also add a third-party apt repository that maintains
backports of a package, but then your update flow depends on yet another
entity that could introduce delays or errors, or could even make
malicious changes to the code.

Regards,
Nils

[1]: https://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/12/15/howto-to-rebuild-debian-packages/