Re: Monit not picking up when usb drive unmounts itself

From: Anon
Subject: Re: Monit not picking up when usb drive unmounts itself
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 07:07:25 +1000

thank you so much. wouldn't necessarily call them cool. just easy to remember what's on the drive. haha

On 14 August 2015 04:53:57 GMT+10:00, Jan-Henrik Haukeland <address@hidden> wrote:
The solution is kind of hidden in the manual [1] (unfortunately), but the short answer is, monitor the device not the mount-point, because if the disk “unmounts" the mount point will still be there right?

So you need to figure out which device is behind your (cool) mount-point names,

So instead of

check filesystem snake-pliskin with path /mnt/snake-pliskin
start program = "/bin/mount /mnt/snake-pliskin"
stop program = "/bin/umount /mnt/snake-pliskin”

instead use

check filesystem snake-pliskin with path /dev/some-usb-device

1. https://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/monit.html#THE-MONIT-CONTROL-FILE section 4. CHECK FILESYSTEM <unique name> PATH <path>