Re: Monit: 'Matching' functionality isn't working

From: Marie Mcallister
Subject: Re: Monit: 'Matching' functionality isn't working
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:27:19 -0700

Hi Martin,

Yes, that is what I tried as well, noted before.

"> I tried formatting it as such: start program = "/bin/bash -c 'nohup /mnt1/build/seeing/build/bin/run.sh &'" but the same thing occurs."

It won't run this for some reason - when I check logs, it says:

[UTC Jun 24 21:25:05] error    : 'classification_node' process is not running

[UTC Jun 24 21:25:05] info     : 'classification_node' trying to restart

[UTC Jun 24 21:25:05] info     : 'classification_node' start: /bin/bash

[UTC Jun 24 21:25:35] error    : 'classification_node' failed to start

(Why does it stop at the whitespace after bash? This seems to be the issue.)

-Marie

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 2:13 PM, Martin Pala <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 24 Jun 2015, at 22:33, Marie Mcallister <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> ​Hi Martin,
>
> ​The problem is with the 'Start' command. The proc match works fine, the check detects ​when the process is down.
> ​For example, if I just use this outside of monit, it works fine to bring back the process: ​/usr/bin/nohup /mnt1/build/seeing/build/bin/run.sh &
>
> ​But if I put that exact line in 'start program' for the check, it fails (looking at the logs, it seems to not be reading past the whitespace break after nohup)​.
>
> I tried formatting it as such: start program = "/bin/bash -c 'nohup /mnt1/build/seeing/build/bin/run.sh &'" but the same thing occurs.
>
> ​I have tried using your suggestion as well: start program = "^/bin/bash -c 'nohup /mnt1/build/seeing/build/bin/run.sh &'"
>
> but that fails​; logs state "Warning: Program does not exist: '^/bin/bash'"
>
> Is there a known issue with whitespace in 'start' lines, in the current iteration of monit? I found a very old thread where something similar occurred but that was supposedly patched a long time ago.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Marie

The pattern in the process check and the start program are two different things - the start program is not regular _expression_, but regular program to execute. Please remove the “^” character from the start program:

        start program = “/bin/bash -c 'nohup /mnt1/build/seeing/build/bin/run.sh &'"