Re: How to handle locked/frozen monit?

From: Adam Nielsen
Subject: Re: How to handle locked/frozen monit?
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 16:04:16 +1000

> Assuming you are running monit from init, it might work to do an
>
> init q
>
> to force init to rescan what it's running - then try killing it. Just
> a guess really.
>
> Hmm, actually, I seem to recall hitting this once before, and I think
> what it required was to comment out monit from the /etc/inittab, then
> I was able to kill it. I think. It was a while back.

Nah not running from inittab.  Looks like the "D" state it's stuck in
is a kernel uninterruptible state, so monit must have done something
that the kernel is now stuck in.

I'm a bit surprised that's enough to lock up monit though - I expected
monit would run all its tests in other threads/processes so a system
call that never returned wouldn't be a problem!  Right now this one
issue has completely locked up monit so it's not doing any checks at
all, related to this problem or not!

Cheers,
Adam.