Restarting after x cycles of downtime

From: Rahul Amaram
Subject: Restarting after x cycles of downtime
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 08:06:14 +0530

Hi,
I am facing a particular issue. I have defined a monit configuration for jetty8 as below:

check process jetty8 with pidfile /var/run/jetty8.pid
  start program = "/etc/init.d/jetty8 start"
  stop program = "/etc/init.d/jetty8 stop"

Now, the problem is at times, when I restart jetty8 manually, and within that short duration, if monit check runs, it assumes that jetty8 is not running, tries to restart it and sends an alert.

I would like to use something like "for X cycles" feature. Where in monit does not attempt restart of jetty8 (or send alert) unless it finds jetty8 down for X consecutive cycles. I have tried the following syntax but it is invalid.

check process jetty8 with pidfile /var/run/jetty8.pid for 2 cycles
  start program = "/etc/init.d/jetty8 start"
  stop program = "/etc/init.d/jetty8 stop"

Suggestions on how this can be achieved would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rahul.

--
<http://www.festivalofmedia.com/asia-pacific/awards>