RE: monit file tailing behavior during reload

From: Tomich,John
Subject: RE: monit file tailing behavior during reload
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 18:45:09 +0000

Hi Martin,

My situation is this:  Monit is monitoring an app log.  We need to do maintenance on the app.  Doing so causes events to be written to the app log that monit has been told to respond to.  So we tell monit to unmonitor the app temporarily.  However, when maintenance is finished, we want monit to skip over all the trigger events that happened during maintenance, and just resume log monitoring from current EOF.  Only way we've found to do this is to stop monit altogether, then restart as in the case of a cold boot.

For the app in question, since it's the only one on that server using monit presently, this isn't a real problem.  However, we use monit on other servers where multiple apps are monitored, so stopping monit completely in such a case is an undesirable strategy.

Best regards,

John Tomich, IS Web Infrastructure

Direct:  480.337.5854