service uptime reports, mmonit?

From: Paul Theodoropoulos
Subject: service uptime reports, mmonit?
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 16:21:11 -0800

I'm evaluating m/monit on the 30 day trial. Absolutely love it, works out of the box, and I'm already well familiar with using monit for managing critical services - m/monit ties it all together beautifully.

One thing I'm surprised is lacking is service uptime metrics. Since monit's primary function is ensuring that services are running rather than hosts, I'd have thought service uptime reports would be included. Part of my job includes a monthly report to the board of our service availability, and as we all know, host uptime isn't directly correlated to service uptime.

I was also somewhat surprised that only hostgroups were available and not servicegroups. However, I noticed that the database does include a servicegroup table, though unpopulated.

Are service uptime metrics and servicegroups in the works? I really want to 'sell' m/monit to our CTO, but if service uptimes aren't available, I'll have to keep nagios running in parallel to get those metrics, but that then makes it harder to justify to the CTO purchasing m/monit (we're a small startup, like almost everybody else in the world)...

Thanks for listening.

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com