Monit keeps resending the same email

From: Alex Brown
Subject: Monit keeps resending the same email
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 12:13:55 -0500

While changing monit settings for my site I screwed up the regular
expression matching and monit generated an alert email as it should.
I fixed the problem but monit kept sending me emails saying it was not
matching. I finally noticed that the email was the same timestamp.
I removed the files from /var/monit and everything works now. Why does
monit not remove the cached alerts after it emails them?

Alex Brown
address@hidden