monitor and unmonitor commands fail at command line but work from MMonit

From: Peter C. Valentien
Subject: monitor and unmonitor commands fail at command line but work from MMonit and Monit web portals
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 15:42:45 +0000

I am running monit-5.5-1.el5.rf on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5.

I have a group of processes for which I wish to start and stop the monitoring in cron as follows:

10 08 * * 1-5   /usr/bin/monit -g trading_call monitor

30 17 * * 1-5   /usr/bin/monit -g trading_call unmonitor

The problem I’m experiencing is that the commands do not execute.  If I run them manually at the command line I get the following results:

address@hidden monit.d]#  /usr/bin/monit -g trading_call unmonitor

monit: error receiving data -- Resource temporarily unavailable

monit: error receiving data -- Resource temporarily unavailable

monit: error receiving data -- Resource temporarily unavailable

monit: error receiving data -- Resource temporarily unavailable

monit: error receiving data -- Resource temporarily unavailable

monit: error receiving data -- Resource temporarily unavailable

monit: error receiving data -- Success

monit: error receiving data -- Success

monit: error receiving data -- Resource temporarily unavailable

monit: error receiving data -- Success

monit: error receiving data -- Success

monit: error receiving data – Success

If I check the web portals (either Monit or MMonit) there is no change in the monitoring status for the processes.

The same is true if I attempt to monitor or unmonitor an individual process at the command line.

When I use the Monit or MMonit web portals to issue the monitor and unmonitor commands then it works.

NOTICE

This communication is for informational purposes only and it is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of a security. It is important that you do not use e-mail to send orders, instructions or authorizations to transact purchases or sales in securities. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or distribution of the information contained within is strictly prohibited and may constitute a violation of Federal law. SumRidge Partners, LLC is a member of FINRA, SIPC, MSRB and SIFMA.