Re: Per application stats in mmonit?

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Per application stats in mmonit?
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 14:06:18 +0200

On 14 May 2014, at 18:56, Francisco Reyes <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 05/12/2014 10:02 AM, Martin Pala wrote:
>> the Analytics page shows various application charts (such as process cpu
>> usage, process memory usage, response time),
>
> I had not added the applications to monit itself. Once I did, they showed.
>
> I think it may not hurt to mention this in the manual.
>
> I was looking in the mmonit manual for "application monitoring" or "process
> monitoring".. .and I think a few others..
>
> In particular I think it is good to add to documentation because some users
> may not think to add an application to monit if they won't be managing
> start/stops/restarts... and then the user won't readily see that one had to
> add the app to monit to get stats.

OK, good point - i see it could be confusing, we'll document it. M/Monit shows
charts only for the services which are monitored by Monit ... not all system
processes. To enable graphs, It is sufficient to add just "check process"
statement with either pidfile or process pattern (no start/stop/restart is
needed if you don't plan to use Monit for process starting.