Using monit with Outlook 365 SMTP servers

From: Mehul Ved
Subject: Using monit with Outlook 365 SMTP servers
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 09:00:38 +0000

I am trying to setup notifications from monit using Outlook 365 SMTP servers. They use TLS v1.1. The relevant lines in monitrc are as follows:

set mailserver smtp.office365.com port 587
  username "address@hidden" password "abcdef"
  using tlsv11

but in the logs, it gives following error:

[GMT May 14 08:30:40] error    : Sendmail: Authentication failed -- no supported authentication methods found

This configuration works with my email client. Am I missing out on something? Is this the correct way to setup TLS v1.1, I couldn't find documentation to setup TLS v1.1 for notifications.

The version of monit I'm using is

monit -V

This is Monit version 5.8​