restarting ffmpeg process

From: Anthony Griffiths
Subject: restarting ffmpeg process
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 09:59:33 +0100

I'm running monit-5.3.1-6 on a fedora 20 machine.
I use ffmpeg to stream video and often the stream goes down. I saw in monitrc there is a section to check a process but when ffmpeg is running there is no pid file and in the ffmpeg log there is no reference to one.
I'm getting round the problem currently by having monit watch the ffmpeg log but the stream can go down for many different reaons, each one generating it's own unique test string in the log and it's a bit like chasing my own tail .
Is there a way that monit can monitor the ffmpeg process and run the command that restarts it?