Re: Monitoring load average relative to number of CPUs

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Monitoring load average relative to number of CPUs
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 20:16:36 +0200

Hi Daniel,

the load average value is currently absolute only. The rule of thumb usually
was that load average of 2 per CPU core is acceptable, which translates to 2
runnable processes per CPU. Relative load average settings may be useful - load
of 1 per each CPU would correspond to 100%, i.e. on 16 cores system load 16 =
100%, to test for load corresponding to 32 on such system the value will be
200%. The percentage would work regardless of CPU count (for example in the
case of single CPU the load 100% will correspond to load average 1).

We can maybe add such option in the future.