Re: Process being restarted by monit validate even if it is running

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Process being restarted by monit validate even if it is running
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 11:56:34 +0100

Hi,

is Monit running as root or as different user?

If it is running as root, then the "as uid root" in stop/start programs is not
necessary:

        start program = "/usr/local/bin/nodeinit v2 start" as uid root

If it is running as different user (which may be the reason for adding "as uid
root", but that most probably won't work, as the user won't have permission to
switch to root unless the binary is setuid or sudo is used), then it is
possible that Monit cannot read the pidfile, please check the permissions of
the whole path to the pidfile and the pidfile itself:

        ls -ld /var/run
        ls -ld /var/run/node
        ls -l /var/run/node/v2.pid

You can run Monit in debug mode to get more details about the test progress:

        monit -vI