Re: one start script, multiple pids

From: John Bazik
Subject: Re: one start script, multiple pids
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 11:20:29 -0500

So, /bin/true works, after a fashion.  If I reverse the depends and add
/bin/true as the start/stop commands, monit complains a lot (it notices
that /bin/true doesn't actually do anything), but it also restarts sympa.

Here's the config, for posterity:

check process sympa with pidfile /var/run/sympa/sympa.pid
  start program = "/etc/init.d/sympa start"
  stop program = "/etc/init.d/sympa stop"
  depends on sympa_bulk, sympa_archived, sympa_bounced, sympa_task_manager
  mode manual
  group sympa

check process sympa_bulk with pidfile /var/run/sympa/bulk.pid
  start program = "/bin/true"
  stop program = "/bin/true"
  mode manual
  group sympa

check process sympa_archived with pidfile /var/run/sympa/archived.pid
  start program = "/bin/true"
  stop program = "/bin/true"
  mode manual
  group sympa

check process sympa_bounced with pidfile /var/run/sympa/bounced.pid
  start program = "/bin/true"
  stop program = "/bin/true"
  mode manual
  group sympa

check process sympa_task_manager with pidfile /var/run/sympa/task_manager.pid
  start program = "/bin/true"
  stop program = "/bin/true"
  mode manual
  group sympa

I don't disagree that it's clumsy to start all the daemons from one
boot script, but that's how it is, and I'd prefer to not have to hack
on a working service in order to monitor it.

John