RE: How to prevent monit from auto -restarting process

From: Roose, Marco
Subject: RE: How to prevent monit from auto -restarting process
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 08:30:17 +0000

Hi Vicky,
the first point is something I thought about a while before. I think there is
no easy solution because the "machine" does not know if the service crashed or
was canceled. The only thing you could do form my opinion is to extend the
init-script of the service with something which sets a system wide variable
which is visible for monit (just as how I would try to do it in principle for
the monit init script):

case "$1" in
        start)
                echo -n "Starting monit "

        ### RESET THE MANULA FLAG ####
        if test "yes" = "${ monit_stop_manual }"; then
                export monit_stop_manual = ""
        fi

                if test "yes" = "${MONIT_VIA_INITTAB}"; then
                        echo "via /etc/inittab"
                        "${MONIT_MODIFY_INITTAB}" --add && echo -en "${esc}[1A"
                else
            PID_DIR=$(/bin/basename "$MONIT_PID_FILE")
            /bin/mkdir -p -m0700 "$PID_DIR"
                        checkproc -p "${MONIT_PID_FILE}" "${MONIT_BIN}" && \
                                echo -n " Warning: monit already running. "
                        startproc -p "${MONIT_PID_FILE}" "${MONIT_BIN}" -c
"${MONIT_RC_FILE}" ${MONIT_ARGS}
                fi
                rc_status -v
                test $? -eq 0 && touch "${MONIT_SUBSYS_FILE}"
                ;;
        stop)
                echo -n "Shutting down monit "
        ### FLAG IF THE SERVICE WAS STOPED MANUAL ###
        export monit_stop_manual = "yes"

                if test "yes" = "${MONIT_VIA_INITTAB}"; then
                        echo "from /etc/inittab"
                        "${MONIT_MODIFY_INITTAB}" --remove && echo -en
"${esc}[1A"
                else
                        checkproc -p "${MONIT_PID_FILE}" "${MONIT_BIN}" || \
                                echo -n " Warning: monit not running. "
                        killproc -p "${MONIT_PID_FILE}" "${MONIT_BIN}"
                fi
                rc_status -v
                test $? -eq 0 && rm -f "${MONIT_SUBSYS_FILE}"
                ;;

If this exists you should be able to use it in your monit configuration (how to
this maybe should answered by the monit team with a fully working solution ;-)

Best regards,
Dr. Marco Roose