syntax error on check program with timeout (monit 5.4)

From: Emmanuel Benazera
Subject: syntax error on check program with timeout (monit 5.4)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 18:00:23 +0200

Hello,

a piece of my monit configuration is of the form:

check program xxxapi path "/path/to/api_check.sh"
if status = 1 then exec "/path/to/prog restart"
as uid mememe

When a problem occurs, default timeout applies (600 seconds), and the
restart line gets executed after 600 seconds.

I'd like to override the default timeout, and therefore updated my
config with:

check program xxxapi path "/path/to/api_check.sh" with timeout 20 seconds
if status = 1 then exec "/path/to/prog restart"
as uid mememe

However, all I get then is a deceiving

Error: syntax error 'timeout'

Any hint into working around this situation would be greatly
appreciated! My main hypothesis at this stage is that monit 5.4 does
not support the 'timeout' statement, but I have been unable to confirm
it.

For the curious, 5.4 is default on my Debian Wheezy servers, and a 5.6
upgrade requires a full libc6 upgrade, which for now I'd prefer to
avoid on production servers.

Thanks in advance,

Em.