Re: task prioritization

From: Josh Sharpe
Subject: Re: task prioritization
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 01:59:50 -0400

I've been playing w/ dependencies for a few days and It's not really ideal.  Prioritization would be better.  A negative example for dependencies is the relation between my web server and application server:

Yes, I can set up the web server to be 'dependent' on my app server, so that the app server is started first.  But that also means if I ever issue a stop command to my app server then the web server will be taken down - and this isn't ideal.

If processes could be given a numerical priority that could act similarly to how dependencies do without the hard start/stop relationship that dependencies create.  E.g. I could stop one group of processes without monit taking out the entire dependency tree.

Thoughts?

Josh