syntax errors with “check program” for cu stom bash script

From: s contini
Subject: syntax errors with “check program” for cu stom bash script
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:32:05 -0700 (PDT)

I am getting syntax errors when I try to check the exit status of a bash script using monit's "check program". If I run the bash script manually, it doesn't error. But if I do monit reload with my monit check program in the config, monit gives me errors.
Here's my current monit .conf file --
check program myscript with path "/etc/monit.d/script_to_run.sh"
  if status != 0 then alert
If I change it to this to make sure monit uses bash to parse the file...
check program myscript with path "/usr/bash /etc/monit.d/script_to_run.sh"
  if status != 0 then alert
Then I get this error
Warning: Program does not exist: '"/bin/bash /etc/monit.d/script_to_run.sh"'

Even if I have basic test script stuff in script_to_run.sh I still get errors:
#!/bin/bash
exit 0
Monit will complain --
Error: syntax error 'exit'
If I have this in script_to_run.sh:
#!/bin/bash
echo "hello"
Monit will complain --
Error: syntax error 'echo'
For reference -- I have monit 5.4, have followed the "check program" example in the man monit doc, and am able to configure/use monit "check process..." just fine on the same server. And yeah, bash scripts run fine if not through monit...

Thoughts?