Monit terminates its checks upon trying to execute non-existent init.d s

From: ptone
Subject: Monit terminates its checks upon trying to execute non-existent init.d script
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 20:56:54 +0000

Hi there,

I am running 5.5 standalone on my server. I had a “check process” entry that I
forgot to remove after removing a service, so Monit was attempting to execute
an init.d script that did not exist.

What happens (according to the syslog entries, having specified the –v option
on Monit launch) is that Monit terminated its checks at that point, and picked
up where it left off on its next wakeup.  This means it can delay checking a
number of process entries for some time before it detects that the process has
exited.

Once I removed the offending “check process” entry, it then checks all entries
on one wakeup as expected.

My question is: why does Monit not continue on and finishes its checks? This
means that processes that may be critical won’t get restarted for quite some
time if they exit. This seems to be a rather severe penalty for a slight config
problem.

Phil