Re: monit alerts sent to a log rather than email?

From: Chris Sanner
Subject: Re: monit alerts sent to a log rather than email?
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 14:02:52 -0400

the main problem with email is that we aren't building a monitoring system from the ground up - we want to incorporate monit into an existing suite.
Right now that means nagios, which forwards alerts on via syslog
Getting log messages into nagios is far easier than getting email into nagios.
and yes - I want to avoid parsing the monit log as it stands because of the ability for monit to dedupe things as it goes

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Noel <address@hidden> wrote:
On 6/5/2013 11:29 AM, Chris Sanner wrote:
> Can I have monit alerts written out to a log file instead of sent
> in an email?

I don't believe there's an option to send only alerts to a separate
log file.  I suppose you could not set any alerts (or suppress all
alerts) and parse the monit log file for interesting entries, but
that seems like a lot of duplicated effort as there will likely be
lots of entries you don't want to be notified about.

> I already have monitoring systems that check log files, send
> messages to places, etc, but I don't have outbound email
> configured on these systems and don't want to have that headache.

monit doesn't require any mail software on the system it's running
on.  A network accessible mail server anywhere will do fine.  It can
also send to an alternate port if you like to firewall outgoing
connections to port 25.

# monitrc
set mailserver smtp.example.com   # primary, default to port 25
                        smtp2.example.net port 11125  # fallback if
primary unavailable

  -- Noel Jones

--
__