Re: Check if my IP address has changed ?

From: David Breakey
Subject: Re: Check if my IP address has changed ?
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 09:23:28 -0700

One item I forgot to mention:
Post ifup hooks are definitely a feature of Debian (and therefore Debian-derived distros, like Ubuntu); it's meant to be used to handle custom actions that are needed when the network comes on/offline (eg: taking the NTP client offline when there's no network). I have no idea if similar ideas are implemented in other distros and I'm sure even if they are, it's probably done differently.

I believe Debian implements hooks for all aspects of the network management process, but I rarely mess with them, so I'm not sure.