question about "then timeout"

From: AJ Weber
Subject: question about "then timeout"
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 09:27:57 -0400

I see examples like:
    if 5 restarts within 5 cycles then timeout

I realize that the keyword "timeout" is used for a few different things amongst the monit config. Is there someplace I can go to understand what this particular meaning does? Does it just stop logging the issue, but continue monitoring?

I think I understand "unmonitor", "restart" is pretty self-explainatory, etc.

Also, if you specify a "start program" and a "stop program" but do not explicitly use a logic-statement to give monit a condition for restart, does monit still assume it should try a restart when the main "check..." fails? Is it safest to add "mode passive" to those checks until the time you want monit to be fully automated for that check?

Thanks in advance for helping the newbie. ;)

-AJ