Re: Merge alerts into one email within one cycle for the same service

From: Wang, Yongkun | Yongkun | BDD
Subject: Re: Merge alerts into one email within one cycle for the same service
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 07:56:40 +0000

Thanks Nestor,

Will try the logmonitor.

Regards,
Yongkun

From: Nestor Urquiza <address@hidden>
Date: 2012年9月12日水曜日 19:40

Hi Wang,

I see from yoir example you  are looking for 'Exception'. So if I am correct you are hoping to use monit to monitor application layer logs.

Usually IT ops are more interested in the health of infrastructure, network, OS. Devs are more into application logic failures. Monit is perfect for the first. For the second Monit will need to not only pack all exceptions in one email but also exclude certain false positives result of developer bugs (something is log as ERROR when it should be INFO for example. It will also need to send the alert to a different mailing list (for devs and not ops as thi is application layer alert). We are currently using http://thinkinginsoftware.blogspot.com/2011/01/use-logmonitor-to-email-log-errors.html to monitor application logs.

If on the contrary you need to match specific application exceptions and send them to Ops it makes sense to me to join them but consider most likely you want to act quicker than 30 min for example.

Best,
Nestor