Re: Unable to send email alert in monit 5.4

From: Martin Pala
Subject: Re: Unable to send email alert in monit 5.4
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:32:14 +0200

It seems that there are some network problems between your monit host and the
primary mail servers (smtp.gmail.com) which you added to the configuration file:

[IST Aug 15 01:45:44] error    : Cannot open a connection to the mailserver
'smtp.gmail.com:587' -- Connection timed out
[IST Aug 15 01:52:15] error    : Sendmail: error receiving data from the
mailserver 'smtp.gmail.com' -- Connection reset by peer

The backup mail server on localhost seems to be not accepting the connections
at all:

[IST Aug 15 01:56:35] error    : Cannot open a connection to the mailserver
'localhost:25' -- Transport endpoint is not connected

=> it ends up with the following message:

[IST Aug 15 01:56:35] error    : No mail servers are available

You can verify the connection to particular mail server/port using telnet for
example … in order to fix the problem you'll need to either solve the network
issue between the host and the mail server or use some different smtp server
which is reachable from your host.